State ATS arrested Kanpur don Vikas Dube’s aide at Thane

Vikas Dubey

Mumbai : The state police on Saturday arrested one of the close associates of the Kanpur don, Vikas Dube and an accused in the Kanpur ambush case in which 8 police personnel were gunned down last week.

According to the state police, in a tip-off, the anti-terrorist squad (ATS) launched a search on a hideout in Thane area and nabbed Arvind aka Guddan Trivedi and his driver Sonu Tiwari. Arvind is one of the accused of killing of 8 police personnel. He was on the run for the past one week after killing 8 Uttar Pradesh Police personnel, along with the gangster Vikas Dube and others, at his Bikru village in Kanpur during a raid. Police had gone to arrest Vikas Dube in a fresh attempt to murder case, but the gangster along with his henchmen, including Arvind attacked police that claimed eight lives.

The state police sources informed that the initial probe has revealed Arvind was involved in many criminal cases along with Vikas Dubey, including the 2001 murder of UP Minister Santosh Shukla, who was killed inside a police station. The UP government had announced a reward for Arvind’s arrest.

It was said that Arvind alias Guddan, after the Kanpur ambush that killed eight policemen, left his phone at a shop near the village and went to Datia, Madhya Pradesh, with his driver. From Datia, Guddan travelled to Nashik then Pune and finally reached Thane via trucks.

Sources said that Guddan stayed at a friend’s house in a village in Thane and watched the news to keep stock of the situation and police actions after the Kanpur encounter.

After the ambush in Kanpur on the intervening night of July 2 and 3, Guddan was in a panic. Even the family, whose house Guddan was hiding in Thane, was scared to give shelter to him as police were arresting even those housing the accused in the Kanpur case. They wanted Guddan to leave but couldn’t ask him to do so out of his fear.

The UP police are coming in Mumbai to take the custody of Arvind. He will subsequently be taken to Kanpur by the UP police for further interrogation.