Nagpur: The state government on Monday clarified that there was no pressure on the police in the probe into the alleged suicide of the 23-year old TikTok actress, Pooja Chavan in Pune.
The opposition and particularly the BJP have been claiming that there was a link to a Maharashtra cabinet minister in the suicide incident. Some social media posts have claimed the 23-year-old woman, who died after falling from a building in Pune’s Hadapsar area on February 8, was in a relationship with a cabinet minister, Sanjay Rathod.
The Maharashtra Home minister Anil Deshmukh, who was discharged from the hospital after undergoing a COVID-19 treatment at Nagpur, said an inquiry into the incident will be conducted as per rules.
The minister asserted that there was no question of pressure from anyone. The chief minister has already said the inquiry will be conducted as per rules. “There is no truth in the allegations made by the opposition,” the minister said.
In a question on a probe into tweets by renowned figures, such as famous singer Lata Mangeshkar and cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, who supported the Centre after several tweets by international personalities backing the farmers’ protests, Deshmukh said his statement on the issue was distorted. “I had stated that an inquiry be conducted against the BJP IT Cell on celebrity tweets. But it was shown in the media as if I had asked for a probe against legends like Lata Mangeshkar and Sachin Tendulkar, something I had never said. There is no question of an inquiry against them,” the minister asserted.
According to the minister, a preliminary investigation into the issue is underway and, so far, 12 names, comprising BJP IT Cell functionaries and social media ‘influencers’, have come up.