Jilted lover hacks girlfriend’s grandma and brother to death, later ends his life too


Nagpur: In a shocking incident, a teen-aged jilted lover brutally hacked his girlfriend’s 65-year-old grandmother and 10-year-old brother to death with a knife before ending his life by jumping in front of a moving train last night.

According to the city police, the accused teenager assaulted Laxmibai Maruti Dhurve and her ten-year old grandson, Yash with a sharp knife at their Surendra Nagar house, slitting their throats and inflicting stab injuries. The double murder was apparently a fallout of the Dhurve family’s objection to the “friendship” between the accused teenager and the 20-year-old granddaughter of the deceased woman.

When the city police got a call, a team of police personnel reached the spot and registered a case of murder against the teenage accused. As the police launched a search to nab the youth after registering the case, the scared youth, who had escaped after committing the double murder, reportedly killed himself and was found dead on the railway tracks.

The Gittikhadan police station in-charge, Sunil Chavan informed that they got call from a friend of the accused on Friday early morning that the teenager had committed suicide by jumping before a running train. “After a verification we have sent the body to the Mayo General hospital for a post mortem,” he said.

It was said that there had been repeated altercations between the teenager and the family of the deceased in the last few months over the “relationship.” The accused had allegedly threatened the Dhurves of dire consequences two months back. However, the matter was not reported to the police then.

The family members of the victims said that the accused youth had befriended the 20-year-old girl, a college dropout, around a year ago on social media. Apparently, the 20-year-old girl maintained an on-and-off relationship with the youth despite opposition from her family. When Laxmibai came to know about her granddaughter’s relationship with the boy, she objected to it. The girl’s parents, too, were vehemently opposed to her friendship with the youth as they belonged to different faiths. To keep her away from the youth, the girl’s parents had even relocated her at a relative’s house in Nagpur city for a few days. When the girl stopped meeting the youth following the instructions from her grandmother, he got enraged. He allegedly decided to teach Laxmibai a lesson as she was becoming an obstacle in their affair.
On Thursday evening, the youth went to meet the girl but Laxmibai did not allow him to enter the house. At the time, the girl’s parents were not at home. As a result, a heated argument broke out between the teenager and Laxmibai, resulting in a scuffle. After Laxmibai fell down during the scuffle, the 17-year old youth took out a knife and slit her throat before stabbing her repeatedly. Yash, who was with his grandmother at the time of the assault, started screaming. Alarmed over this, the youth caught Yash and slit his throat too with the same sharp weapon. As Laxmibai and Yash did not get any medical aid in time, they bled to death on the spot.

The old woman was found murdered on the chair with her throat slit and numerous stab injuries on her person, by her daughter-in-law Sonali after she returned from work at around 5.30 pm on Thursday. A little later, she found the body of her son Yash, too, inside the bathroom with blood all over him. A shocked and distraught Sonali immediately informed the neighbours and subsequently a police team reached the spot on being informed.

After committing the double murder, the youth developed cold feet and made good his escape from the spot. On learning that the police were on the lookout for him and they had even been to his Gandhibagh residence to arrest him, he probably took the extreme step of committing suicide himself by jumping in front of a running train, the police officer Chavan added.